Friday 3 March 2017

Godot Is The Best Engine - Godot vs Unity



This is a video I made to compare these two engines. The transcript is below, enjoy!


So, this is a new series I’m doing where I’ve decided I’m gonna be an unpaid shill for the Godot engine, and compare it to some other engines. This first episode is going to compare Godot to its obvious competitor, the Unity engine.

At a first glance, Godot and Unity are not so different from each other. Having said that, Unity puts a massive emphasis on its 3D editor, while Godot is primarily made for 2D development. That’s a pretty big difference right off the bat, I mean they are primarily designed for two completely different jobs. However, given that they both have support for 3D and 2D editing, they can be suitably compared.

While Godot’s 3D renderer isn’t the best thing in the world, Unity’s 2D renderer is literally just the 3D renderer locked into an orthographic viewport.

The fact that Godot at least uses a separate dedicated renderer for 2D is an advantage in itself, seeing as that minimizes the amount of performance overhead that may otherwise be detrimental to applications that rely on a high frame-rate- which just about all games do.

Another thing that Godot has over Unity is that Godot is totally free. While Unity is proprietary and closed source, Godot is maintained by around a hundred developers on Github under the MIT license. This means that Godot is free as in free speech, not as in free beer. Stallman would be proud.

Leading on from this, Unity forces users of the free version to have a “Made with Unity” splash screen at the beginning of their game. Godot has no such limitation. Though it is there by default, it can be either changed or totally disabled as the user wants.

I will give Unity some credit, in that it does not use its own constructed programming language for the programmatic side of things. This is a genuine advantage that Unity has over Godot. However, having said that, Godot’s GodotScript can be made to integrate with precompiled C++ modules very easily, for more performance-sensitive tasks.

A massive thing that Godot has above Unity is the fact that Godot is cross-platform, and available on Windows, Mac, and Linux. This is very important for myself, considering that I use Linux as my primary operating system and Unity crashes usually within about 5 minutes of work. Last time I checked, right clicking on a drop-down menu forced it to close as of about 6 months ago.

Also, Godot exports to BSD running X11. Just consider that for a moment- what other engine even acknowledges BSD exists? I don’t think anyone developing the Unity engine knows what BSD is, but that’s speculation more than a criticism of their product.

Regardless, Godot’s user interface is a lot more intuitive, at least in my opinion. It makes efficient use of space and colours, something which I do not feel Unity does as well. A petty complaint, but if there ever was a time to say it then hey, here it is.

Also, Godot’s mascot is better than Unity’s so fu

Now look, obviously I’m not saying that Unity is a bad engine. Objectively speaking, it’s powerful and has been used for a number of very high-profile cases. Having said that, Godot beats Unity at every level in so far as 2D is concerned. I haven’t used Godot’s 3D options so I can’t speak much to that, but I’m confident in saying that it’s a worthy contender.

Either way, thanks for watching. Stay tuned for the next episode in the series on… I dunno a different engine probably.

No comments :

Post a Comment